SELC Career College collects students’ personal information for the following reasons:
- To maintain student records as required by PTIB.
- To maintain student records as required by SABC (accredited schools).
- To keep students/graduates informed of activities at the school.
- To issue T2202As in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency
Students’ personal information is not used for any other purpose.
For all career training programs:
- SELC Career College retains the full student file for a period of seven (7) years following the student’s withdrawal, dismissal or graduation.
- After seven years, the full student record is destroyed using a secure destruction method.
SELC Career College uploads a copy of the students’ contract, transcripts and credential (if any) to an approved third-party vendor. These records are retained for a period of fifty-five (55) years by the third-party vendor.
Procedure for student access to the information on file:
- Students wishing to access the information in the student file must make the request in writing.
- The Senior Educational Administrator will meet with the student to review the file and will provide copies of any document the student requests.
- The student will pay $0.25 per page for the documents copied for him/her.
Procedure for authorizing release of information:
- If a student wishes to authorize a third party to access information in his/her student file, he/she must do so in writing.
- The school will not release information to any person other than people authorized by the student to access information unless required to do so by legislation, a subpoena, court order or if release of information is necessary as part of an ongoing police investigation.